Irvine Valley's men's tennis team, which is ranked No. 1 in the state, finished the first round of Orange Empire Conference play with a 9-0 win over Saddleback on Thursday at home.
Irvine Valley won all six matches in singles in straight sets and only had a little trouble in one doubles match in what was the Lasers' sixth sweep over a team this season and third so far in conference.
IVC players lost just 20 games total in singles with freshman Chris Politiek earning a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles, sophomore and defending state champion Javier Callejo winning, 6-0, 6-2 at the second position and sophomore Lucas Lesoeur coming out on top, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 2 singles.
In doubles, IVC's No. 2 team of DeMulling and Politiek defeated Andrew Tran and Mike Park, 8-0. Mirecki and sophomore Gavin Lynch won, 8-4, on the third court.
And Irvine Valley's top team of Lesoeur and Callejo pulled out a 8-6 victory over Saddleback's team of Riko Goto and Jeff Gelman.
Irvine Valley, which is the two-time defending state champion, improved its record to 8-0 overall and 4-0 in conference.
The team travels to take on four-year Pomona Pitzer on Friday. The Lasers then start the second round of conference action next Tuesday at rival Cypress.
Cypress, ranked No. 3 in the state, and IVC battled down to the wire the first time the two sides met at Irvine Valley with the Lasers pulling out a 5-4 win.
1) Wyatt DeMulling (IVC) def. Jeff Gelman (SC), 6-1, 6-3
2) Lucas Lesoeur (IVC) def. Riko Goto (SC), 6-1, 6-2
3) Javier Callejo (IVC) def. Andrew Tran (SC), 6-0, 6-2
4) Chris Politiek (IVC) def. Tyler Bloom (SC), 6-0, 6-0
5) Leszek Mirecki (IVC) def. Mike Park (SC), 6-3, 6-3
6) Luis Castillo (IVC) def. David Gustafson (SC), 6-2, 6-2
1) Lesoeur/Callejo (IVC) def. Goto/Gelman (SC), 8-6
2) DeMulling/Politiek (IVC) def. Park/Tran (SC), 8-0
3) Mirecki/Gavin Lynch (IVC) def. Gustafson/Bloom (SC), 8-4