Irvine Valley's men's tennis team reign at the top of the state ended on Tuesday with a 5-2 CCCAA Southern California Regional quarterfinal loss at College of the Desert.
The Lasers, seeded fifth, were the three-time defending state champion and had been to four straight state title matches.
No. 4 College of the Desert (15-2) moves on to face top-ranked Cerritos in a So. Cal. Regional semifinal next Tuesday at Cerritos.
Irvine Valley, finished its 2018 season with a record of 6-10 overall.
IVC was ahead early, taking two of three doubles sets to take a 2-1 lead into the singles competition.
But Desert came back and took three straight singles matches to go up, 4-2.
And then when Li was defaulted at No. 4 singles for a conduct code violation, Desert earned the overall victory. Li had won the first set, 7-5, and was up, 1-0, in the second set when the violation occurred.
Irvine Valley's Santos was ahead in his match on the third court and freshman Randy Murphy was up on court six for the Lasers.
Kyryll Kryvchun led Desert, beating IVC's Bott, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1 singles. Kryvchun improved his singles record to 16-0 on the season.
College of the Desert 5, Irvine Valley 2
1) Kyryll Kryvchun (COD) def. Michael Bott (IVC), 6-1, 6-0
2) Dimitrije Vukovic (COD) def. Jacob Holiday (IVC), 6-1, 6-2
3) Play Stopped: Brian Johnson (COD) vs. Thallys Santos (IVC)
4) Joau Luiz Zillo Prado (COD) def. William Li (IVC), 5-7, 0-1 : Li was defaulted due to Conduct Code Violation - Win goes to COD
5) Jakob Dvorken (COD) def. Stuart Webb (IVC), 6-4, 6-2
6) Play Stopped: Joshua Bailin (COD) vs. Randy Murphy (IVC)
1) Bott/Santos (IVC) def. Kryvchun/Johnson (COD), 8-4
2) Vukovic/Prado (COD) def. Webb/Murphy (IVC), 8-3
3) Holiday/Li (IVC) def. Dvorken/Bailin (COD), 9-7