Irvine Valley's women's tennis team started the Southern California Regional Playoffs with a 5-2 win over Santa Barbara City at home on Tuesday afternoon.
The Lasers, seeded third, won two of three doubles matches and then took three of the first four singles contests to end it.
Irvine Valley improved its record to 13-3 overall, while No. 6 Santa Barbara City saw its team season come to an end at 14-5.
In the No. 2 match, the Laser pair of freshmen Ariana Hedayati and Abigail Perez were way down to the team of Josephine Pulver and Pia Valtierra, but battled back to tie the score at 7-7, before losing, 9-7.
IVC still took a 2-1 lead into the singles round.
And soon after it was 3-1 when Alajeely defeated Peyvandi, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 1 position.
Dreux gave Irvine Valley a 4-1 lead after beaing Goss, 6-2, 6-1, at the second spot.
Santa Barbara City picked up a singles point when Valtierra defeated Krechetova, 6-0, 6-2, the No. 4 position.
But moments later, Perez ended the match for Irvine Valley with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Pesniak at No. 5 singles.
Irvine Valley moves on to face No. 1 Cerritos next Tuesday on the road in the So. Cal. semifinals.
Irvine Valley 5, Santa Barbara City 2
1) Halla Alajeely (IVC) def. Katelyn Peyvandi (SBCC), 6-1, 6-0
2) Fiorella Dreux (IVC) def. Gabrielle Goss (SBCC), 6-2, 6-1
3) Ariana Hedayati (IVC) vs. Josephine Pulver (SBCC), unfinished
4) Pia Valtierra (SBCC) def. Anna Krechetova (IVC), 6-0, 6-2
5) Abigail Perez (IVC) def. Hanna Pesniak (SBCC), 6-1, 6-3
6) Lauren MacDonnell (IVC) vs. Maddie Mitchell (SBCC), unfinished
1) Alajeely/Dreux (IVC) def. Peyvandi/Goss (SBCC), 8-3
2) Pulver/Valtierra (SBCC) def. Hedayati/Perez (IVC), 9-7
3) Krechetova/MacDonnell (IVC) def. Mitchell/Pesniak (SBCC), 8-2