Irvine Valley fell to Santa Barbara City, 5-4, in a tight match in its 2019 season opener on Tuesday afternoon at home.
The Lasers won two of three doubles sets and later held a 4-3 lead with two singles matches to play. But Santa Barbara City captured the final two singles contests to pull out the win.
Lee and Ash won in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-3) after being down 6-3 at one point in the match.
In singles, Mendy, IVC's No. 1 singles player got a quick win when Santa Barbara City's Jamaica Buyse had to retire after one game to give Irvine Valley a 3-1 lead.
But Santa Barbara City won three of the remaining four singles matches to earn the overall win.
Le also picked up a win at No. 2 singles for the Lasers, beating Joica Buyse, 6-1, 6-4.
Irvine Valley, which was the runner-up in the Orange Empire Conference, made the semifinals of the regional team playoffs and ended up ranked No. 5 in the state last season, is scheduled to host College of the Desert on Thursday at home at 2 p.m.
1. Sabrina Mendy, IVC, def. Jamaica Buyse, 1-0, retired
2. Ashley Le, IVC, def. Joica Buyse, 6-1, 6-4
3. Anya Nicolaides, SBCC, def. Alaina Spearman, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Victoria Davos, SBCC, def. Brigget Lee, 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
5. Jule Lauringer, SBCC, def. Ariyana Ash, 6-1, 6-1
6. Maddie Mitchell, SBCC, def. Collette Kelly, 6-0, 6-0
1. Mendy/Le, IVC, def. Buyse/Buyse, 8-3
2. Nicolaides/Dafos, SBCC, def. Spearman/Kelly, 8-0
3. Lee/Ash, IVC, def. Lauinger/Mitchell, 9-8 (7-3)